I suffer from an addiction, although my vice is benign. I, however, choose to consider it an
affliction, a disease borne not from my own poor decisions, but a veritable
assault of the information age. I was
borne in 1994. Wikipedia launched in
2001. I have been on the site so many
times that I didn’t need to look that up.
By the time I started to hit the crack, Wikipedia had already developed
into the inconceivably large tank of knowledge it is today, and it grows by the
second. I can be looking up Robert Burns
and in a series of clicks, with no textual input from me, not a single typed
word, I could, and sometimes do, end up at modern Indonesian economics. It is the only website that I have donated
money to because I honestly believe in their creed and like an addict, I need
it, and I’m willing to pay when they gently suggest that they need my
money. Why yes Jimmy Wales, I think I
will donate to your wonderful site because you made such an eloquent personal
appeal, even if it scrambles my brain further every time I use it.
The internet is just another rung in the ladder up to true
connectivity. The initial step was made
before our memory, sometime after fire was harnessed, when a brave Homo
sapiens cried out and realized their thought had penetrated the aural
sphere of existence and meant slightly more than the bird’s chirping or the
wind’s whispering. Speech brought ideas
out of people’s heads, and through a chain of relayed messages, these ideas
could be misconstrued and rumors started. The next step was writing, the visual cousin
of speech, which allowed a select few to jot down concocted bullshit and exert
control over other people. This
dichotomy still exists, though at a less staggering level. I know this because only 83.7% of the world
is literate. 87% of the world has a cell
phone subscription. My dog had neither
of these abilities and died three-legged and happy and none of her species ever
went to war. She did like to eat shit
and piss on things though, which is completely gross.
After people learned to write and declined to teach others below
them, a German man named Johannes Gutenberg invented the moveable type printing
press in 1439. He was from Mainz, which
was founded in the late 1st century BC by Romans as a military outpost
due to its strategic location at the confluence of the Main and Rhine. Afterward, millions of people died in wars
prompted by the Reformation, which was in turn prompted by Martin Luther’s 95
theses, of which 300,000 copies were printed within two years of that fateful
nailing to Wittenburg Church’s doors.
Sadly, they were burnt along with the most of the building in 1760
during the Pomeranian War, an extension of the Seven Years’ War, known in
America as the French and Indian War. Newspapers, magazines and novels subsequently
appeared, derivations of an oft-misused communication system. The next step was once again auditory. Guglielmo Marconi (who looked suspiciously
like Geoffrey Rush, of The King’s Speech fame, which won four Oscars at the 83rd
Academy Awards) developed radio in the late 19th century and in 1923
joined the Italian Fascist Party and didn’t mind it when Italy ransacked
Ethiopia and ousted Haile Selassie I, regarded as the messiah reincarnated by
Rastafarians, of whom Bob Marley was a member.
America heard his song “One Love” on Marconi’s marvelous invention in
1977. People sat in their living rooms and listened to music and fireside chats
and commercials until television replaced it.
Sound and sight were finally combined and wholesome shows were beamed
into our retinas and burnt into the back of our skulls. The children who grew up watching these shows
became the driving force in the world and created tactless shows which my
generation is berated for.
My
family didn’t have television service until I was probably seven or eight, at
which point we got “rabbit ears,” which is the colloquial term for a set-top TV
dipole antenna,
which can be fitted with UHF (Ultra-high frequency, electromagnetic waves from 300 MHz to 3 GHz) receivers. The only stations that I ever remember watching were PBS (channel 10) and Saturday morning cartoons (channel 9, the WB). We only received several other channels, maybe 4 or 5. Eventually, and I can’t remember when (but it must’ve been before junior high) we got the cheapest available cable, adding to my diverse viewing options two Christian channels, Univisión, a fuzzy BET, a station that seemed to only play B-movies from the eighties and provide weather reports for Chicago called WGN, along with lucky number 13 which let me know what was playing on all the stations I didn’t have. This was a veritable heaven for an agnostic, white, English-speaking child living east of Cleveland.
The reason for
this sardonic commentary is that television and radio were and are patriarchal
media, information filtered through a lens fixed by the preceding generation’s
will and commercialism. They are nothing
compared to the anarchic Internet. My personal history
with the Internet is far more influential than any other media. First
we had dial-up, and eventually the sounds of the mangled evil-robot in its
death throes emanating from the computer tower became a welcome reveille for
the beginning of a new knowledge devouring session at a speedy 20kb/s. I had not yet discovered Wikipedia and
internet searching never really went further than video-game walkthroughs and the occasional
Google search. Soon, my brother Glenn
found a way to steal internet connection from nearby wireless sources during
the advent of DSL connections. He stuck
a wireless receiver in a Folger’s coffee tin and hid it in a rhododendron bush
in our front yard, a camouflaged cantenna as he called it. We used this for a long time until we started
another
legally-questionable operation: siphoning
internet access off of our neighbor’s AT&T line. We split the bill with our neighbors and used
it for years. We finally bit the bullet
and got our own cable internet line and can now search Wikipedia in the range
of dozens of Mb/s, thousands of times faster than our original dial-up. This is why I am an information junkie.
Students have become used to
teachers disallowing Wikipedia as a source, because it can be edited by
anyone. This is precisely why it is
incredible. At its core, it is an
encyclopedia, and like any other, the information provided can sometimes be
sparse and unspecific. Yet this is far
better than, let’s say, Encyclopedia
Britannica. Britannica has 228,274 entries and 474,675 subentries in English by
4,000 contributors. Wikipedia has 4.1
million articles in the English edition alone, and 25 million articles in 286
languages by over 100,000 active contributors putting in 100 million man-hours. Every fact in an article is cited and linked
to the primary source at the bottom of the page. If there is no source, it says “citation
needed.” Britannica is owned by a Swiss billionaire investor and actor named
Jacqui Safra who also owns Spring Mountain Vineyard, a large wine-growing
estate located in Saint Helena, California.
To have access to all the articles you must buy the print edition,
literally dozens of hard-back books. To
have most of them you must become a paying member of the website. To read some of the articles you can look at
their site and have an ad for Netflix pop-up as a new window on your
browser. Wikipedia has no membership, no
ads and no owner. It is free information
in the most democratic essence ever experienced. Anyone in the world can edit it, making
ethnic, racial, and cultural bias far less occurring than Encyclopedia Britannica, which has repeatedly been partial to
western culture: all of Bhuddism is covered in one article, whereas
Christianity has 14 articles. Wikipedia
is at once an encyclopedia and the collective memory of humanity. The connectivity is staggering: 4.1 million articles, and each one is linked
with all the others in countless inter-weaving paths. There is nothing isolated, neither in reality
nor on the internet.
What I am trying
to say is this: I look at attractive
women, and my God do I enjoy yoga
pants and their minimal obscuring of curves.
Yoga pants are typically made from cotton with a flexible knit which
graciously allows them to form fit over women’s legs. Sometimes rayon, also known as viscose, is
used in lieu of cotton in the global textile industry. Viscose rayon was invented by Hilaire de
Chardonnet in 1891. This happened in Échirolles,
a town located in the Isère department of France. The name in Occitan is slightly different, Isèra. Occitan is a language closely related to
French which is slowly dying, having a predicted half-million fluent speakers
left. In the region of France
traditionally associated with the language, there is an enormous fortress town called
Carcassonne, picturesque in its quaint medieval beauty and deplorable in its
history. It became a stronghold of the
Cathars, a peaceful Christian splinter group deemed heretics by Pope Innocent
III. Their philosophy is reminiscent of Manichaeism,
a religion derived mainly from ancient Persian teachings and eventually spread
as far east as China and as far west as France.
At the behest of the ironically-named pope, French nobility began a
land-grabbing campaign under the guise of religiosity in 1209 called the
Albigensian Crusade. Before the
crusaders, led by the
Abbot of Citeaux Arnaud Amalric, reached
Carcassonne, they besieged a city named Béziers and attacked the peaceful
inhabitants, Catholic
and Cathar. In the leader’s own
words: “Our men spared no one, irrespective of rank, sex or age, and put to the
sword almost 20,000 people. After this great slaughter the whole city was
despoiled and burnt.” The death was
perfectly acceptable because, as the Abbot claimed “Kill them all for the Lord
knoweth them that are His.” They looted
the entire city and divided the spoils, out of love, for Jesus, or
something... They reached Carcassonne, cut off the water
supply and made all the
inhabitants evacuate the city stark naked.
As was almost the entire population of Earth, most of the crusaders were
illiterate, let alone fluent in Latin, and never read a word of the Bible or Wikipedia.
The
disjointedness is staggering: 4.1 million
articles, and each one is linked with all the others in countless inter-weaving
paths. There is nothing isolated,
neither in reality nor on the internet. This
is what Wikipedia does. It jumbles up my
mind into a cosmopolitan, manic-depressive web.
I don’t just see a girl’s callipygous figure, I see that and a dead
scientist and a dying language and twenty fucking thousand hacked up corpses
and a parade of naked refugees. I get snippets
of everything in existence, a montage hell-ride of history,
culture, language, music, art, politics, sex, biology, astrophysics, religion
and philosophy. Encyclopedic shallowness thrown at me with no
abatement through a backlit LCD screen (liquid
crystal display, the ground works for which were laid down in 1888 by Friedrich
Reinitzer, born 1857, Prague, liberated by the Red Army 1945). I am drowning in a kiddie pool filled with
tears. I am becoming a nihilist who will
dominate trivia night.
Works Cited
Wikipedia.
Sorry for not coming to class today. Stayed up really late reading everyone's favorite author Diane Ackerman.
A couple questions for consideration when you critique my essay:
1. Does my non-inclusion of any characters besides myself subtly bolster my claim of isolation? Did you notice?
2. Am I appearing funny or creepy when I talk about girls' butts in yoga pants?
3. How can I better incorporate the theme of communication abuse? I want to flesh it out. I only touched upon it I think with paragraphs 2 and 3.
Besides these questions, I would greatly appreciate some feedback from you guys! thank you for bearing with me and my absences. I will be e-mailing out my critiques of your pop-culture essays and revised essays today.
Well I already sent you a letter explaining my thoughts but I shall answer your questions as best as I can:
ReplyDelete1. I think it's true that isolation comes out of technology. I don't know that I noticed an argument on that note.
2. You are not appearing creepy. Girls that wear yoga pants wear them half for comfort and half to show off their asses.
3. I'm not one hundred person sure of a way to better incorporate the communication abuse. Twitter? Facebook? Texting?
Thanks Mary. Funny you should suggest these things in point 3. I actually had a couple hundred words on social media and how I don't use it. I removed it though because I came across as condescending rather than expounding information abuse. I definitely will try to rework it after your suggestion.
Delete"half to show off their asses." Hahaha, I love that we're in a college English class where we can say these things in graded comments.
right there with Mary on this, my letter will be a much better reflection of my thoughts for you here.
ReplyDelete1. I knew of your isolation from how often I see you getting Grab n Go solo; you're clearly just a lonely young man. Not something I actively considered in your essay, but I like it when you spoon-feed it to me!
2. If liking yoga pants is creepy, I don't want to be well-adjusted. Carry on.
3. What are you calling "communication abuse"? Overexertion of time spent communicating, or the warped fingers of those who control communication like a marionette? I'm glad you took out your commentary on social media, because I can just imagine how smug you would probably come off. Like sitting in a smoking jacket with a raised pinkie in front of a fireplace smug. I think you made the right move to sacrifice anything that might talk down to the common reader, in this essay. Maybe just do a Wikipedia fact dump on communication overload and let that stand on its own.
There is so much in this essay, but it is so good!
ReplyDelete1) I don't believe that you not including any characters shows your isolation. Some of my greatest stories come from me being alone because I find myself to be hilarious while alone.
2) As a girl that has no ass, I do enjoy wearing yoga pants because at least for one day I can pretend that I do.So no, you are not creepy.
3)I agree with Mary that the only other way that you could expand on the communication abuse would be with social media, but I agree with Matt and am glad you didn't include your commentary on social media.
ps:sorry this is so late