Friday, March 1, 2013

Eggers emulation - Death of a Dog




I can’t imagine not having my dog, the only dog that I’ve grown up with.  She is eighteen years old, the same age as me and still hobbling her way through life with a, well, dogged persistence. 
Sadly, this is only half-sincere. 
No, it’s really not sincere at all. 
I feel guilty because we’re all waiting for her to die.   It happens so often that I don’t even think about it sometimes: I arrive home from school before anyone else and in a Pavlovian trance clean up the fucking lake of piss that has ran along the grout like water down a flume.  It’s everywhere:  on the rug, soaked into my goddamn shoelaces.  I have to dry everyone’s shoes outside.  Why is our house so idiotically designed?  Who put the back door in the dining room and without a mudroom?  Fuck it.  I’m still too lazy to move my shoes somewhere else.  You take them off when you enter, so you can’t store them someplace else. 
She tore both of her ACLs— I want to stab my neighbor’s motherfucking dogs and bury them deep in the earth for chasing her and ruining her body.  Only one leg fully healed (and that’s a stretch) so she effectively has three legs.  Where she once ran quickly as a greyhound, we now watch her shuffle across the grass, but she remains chipper and still surprisingly mobile. 
Her breath smells foul because her teeth are rotting.  In fact, one time my dad and I found one of her teeth on the kitchen floor and we spent half-an-hour trying to figure out what it was.  It resorted to a smell-test which immediately cued us in on its origin.  The fucking mutt looks and smells like a rat, with her reeking breath and strange, wet, goatee-like facial hair.
We’ve barricaded her in the back part of the house where there’s only ceramic tile so it’s easier to clean up after her.  We shut one of the doors to the bathroom, and then block off the entryway to the living room with a piece of plywood propped up on one end by a plastic crate we used to store vegetables in and a vacuum cleaner on the other.  And every time I trip over it and nearly break my neck and yell “Fuck you dog!” she looks up at me with her cataract eyes and my heart breaks. 

                     

Now half a year has passed since our wish came true.  I didn’t cry.  Not one fucking tear.  I tried too.  My parents cried.  I couldn’t.  I haven’t cried over death in over half a decade, even when some people close to me pass.  I don’t have to clean up piss any more like a Cinderella armed with bleach and towels.  But it still wasn’t a relief. I’m an asshole, but I try to mourn. 

Please don’t hate me Lilly.

5 comments:

  1. Ooh I liked this alot. a lot alot. 18 is old as fuck for a dog, in all honesty. I think if this was a standalone essay (aka not an emulation)i would remove the two stunted sentences about sincerity, but it works within Eggers' myriad parameters.

    I don't know if I dig the ending. I think the part about you being unable to cry is fantastic, and the cinderella thing is good. What i might suggest is dropping the last two lines of this essay, and dropping the fast-forward paragraph somewhere in the middle, like eggers did with his dad intermittently. Then, you end on the incredible line about Fuck you vs cataract eyes.

    Awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really emotionally powerful. I almost cried--I'm sure the sad piano music in the background right now had some influence too. It is conflicting. Part of me can really understand your frustration with your dog and having to pick up after it but then the other part of me is mad that you're being so harsh to a dying companion. (I'm not actually mad at you, these were just my reactions while reading) I think that makes this like Eggers--though I think he's a little less harsh (maybe because he is so self-conscious). Overall all I really enjoyed this essay--powerful is the best way I can describe it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely get the Eggers vibe from this piece! You mention in the beginning that this is only "half-sincere," or "really not sincere at all," just as Eggers kind of does at the beginning of ASWHB. However, your essay is completely sincere because there is an overwhelming amount of emotional honesty. You aren't afraid to call yourself out when you believe you're being insensitive. Eggers does that a lot too. And even when you think you're being a heartless asshole, you're really not, which appears in the line, "And every time I trip over it and nearly break my neck and yell “Fuck you dog!” she looks up at me with her cataract eyes and my heart breaks."

    The raw power of the entire piece seems Eggers-esque, and overall, I thought this was another incredible essay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got the Eggers vibe from this whole thing. In the beginning you mention being half-sincere and then not sincere at all, just like Eggers does at the start of the book. Although you are very emotional in this piece or I can at least get the sense that you are being emotional. You call yourself out on things, just like Eggers. This whole essay really reminds me of Eggers. I still am unsure of the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're drinking a slightly different anger cocktail than Eggers. Seems like you've got three parts anger one part lemon juice, while his is two parts anger, one part sweetness, half a part lemon, and half a part drawing of a stapler. I guess he has more to be angry about, too, right? I don't know.

    Can we get two or three lines in here early about how great your dog is? I feel like I need something that earns you your scorn.

    You would really like "The Fourth State of Matter," by Jo Ann Beard. When the crazy semester ends for you, check that out. It's one of the best essays I've read, and it features similar experiences.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete