Perhaps libraries
are not a citadel of thought but the ego’s mill, the quern-stone smashing our
spirit. My eyes grow tired, their lids
sinking as the screen’s wanton brightness barrages them. Abating enthusiasm leads me to a sense of
failure; a failure of purpose as nihilistic ruminations meddle, the Visigoths
flowing through the Porta Salaria spilling over Rome’s bricks. I can only wish that I was there, perched
atop a marble ledge, the moon illuminating the scene. Anywhere but here. Suppose I should walk out right now, wander
the streets through the chilled dampness, would that soothe my mind? Yes, perhaps for a few minutes, but they
continue to sack my mind. I try again,
the Sisyphean act of remembrance, the feigned importance in history.
As fingers
strike the keys, the words composed are the embodiment of ego, the immortal textual
soul. Such is the state of writers, a
constant longing for remembering, a frantic outpouring of the self. A life unremembered is a second death, and so
we must face it, even if we waltz under the gaslamps and are happy for a
while. But unless we become the Woolf,
or Faulkner, or Wilde of our day, it is meaningless. I will not affect a life, at least not
significantly. It would only be for a
mere moment and it will continue its course.
This is the dilemma of a writer:
unless you are remembered through the ages, what did you matter to the
world? A plumber has brought more joy
into the world than you have. I can get
by as happily as I was the preceding day if I don’t read even a modicum of art from
nameless writer. I can’t without a
plumber. His knelt frame on the
porcelain tiles ceaselessly fixing the pipes helps the family, and so even as a
small drop in the sea, he has helped the world.
They are the meaningful ones: the plumber, the carpenter, the sailor. The paver rolling
out the hot asphalt through the infinite-horizon buffalo plains allowed a New
York family to cross and rest under the shade of redwoods and hear the birds. The electrician has bestowed light in the
darkness, staving off the night, allowing you and I to sip wine and palaver
past minuit, complaining about women.
But I have done nothing. A
nameless face drowning in an unrelenting horde of faces, not even providing a murmur
that might echo down the halls of infinity.
There is no middle ground: one is
remembered or forgotten. One must rise
above the rest and yell over the ringing tree-tops with their words, else all
is in vain.
But what is
this? I ask as I lift the scrap. Here it is, on top of the computer, at the only
available place to type at on the only open floor of the only
library here. I could have left after I
climbed back up the stairs from the basement and rested my now numb eyes, but
the thought beckoned: I need to write
these thoughts tonight, it’s already overdue.
And I still didn’t write it that night because there it was, the
only fortune cookie message ever pertinent, and to a staggering level. What divine soul left this prodigious sliver
to allay my heart with its caveat?
In
the race to be better or best do not miss the joy of being.
(NOTE: I tried to capture some of the digression of Street Haunting and the preoccupation with futility and death of The Death of the Moth. I know it is very overdue: I apologize. Tuesday night as I was about to finally write this, I really did find this fortune sitting at honestly the only available computer on the entire second floor. It was wonderful and seemed to ask me to reconsider the pessimism I was writing about.)
Palaver! what a foreign yet beautiful word! Your vocab is laudable. Also enjoyed the use of Sisyphean, i've used that and other mythological references strewn in my writing and can appreciate that in the works of others.
ReplyDeleteAgree that writing is essentially worthless, and I lament the fact that i'm not goood with my hands. Can't fix things around the house or work on cars or even really cook things, it definitely makes me feel useless sometimes that my talents lie outside of physical tasks. Maybe also the reason i had never heard of a quern-stone!
I have to dock this excellent work a letter grade each day it was late, so the text was clearly 'A' work, but you've ended up with a 'G'. Kidding, very nice job!
So, I'd actually like to see this post now without the over-the-top dialogue, because I can't tell what's sincere. The eumulation and odd diction brought on the excellent topic, but now it needs to be scrubbed so we can hear Tristan's actual thinking about art and its purpose. I actually don't believe either of you, or Eggers, when you all say that writing is meaningless.
DeleteYour vocabulary is elevated here which I think is pretty appropriate for a Woolf emulation. I find it to be really entertaining how you intertwine: what's the point in being a writer? and I need to write this late blog. Since this is an emulation of Woolf it's like your excuse for writing this late is, "what's the point? I'm not as good as Woolf." And I get that as well as I find it clever.
ReplyDeleteI often struggle with my desire to be a writer for it's unrealistic factor. But that's why you have to work some other job, write in your spare time and then BAM you write a masterpiece. lol or at least this seems to be the method.
This is completely brilliant! You nailed the emulation of Woolf - especially in the elements that you point out and the rich vocabulary you include. I have to admit, I was a little lost in the first paragraph and had to reread it a few times because you schooled me in vocab! I might go silently sob over an unabridged dictionary with a pint of Ben & Jerry's now. Kidding, and props to you for using so many incredible words!
ReplyDeleteFortune cookies are always scary accurate, at least in my experiences, and I always keep them as proof - a reminder of the magic. This particular fortune came at the perfect time, and it seems to negate the idea that writing is useless. I've always thought of writing as a celebration of "being," and it doesn't matter if you're the best, because writing is an immortality of sorts. It captures the moment, and thoughts, and the self - preserving them for what could potentially be forever.
Once again, I thought this was excellent and have no complaints.
Smart stuff, Alexis. I've now spent a full 30 seconds trying to come up with a pun on a Ben And Jerry's flavor that somehow incorporates a vocabulary word for sadness.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to go with Dulce Disconsolate, fooling on Dulce Delish. Eh, it's the best I can do right now.
Yeah, anyway, I like this attempt a lot. Being overwhelmed in the library spurs good thinking about mortality and aesthetics and purpose.
Tristan, I want your line to read "A life unremembered is a second death, at the hands of a bear."