Friday, January 25, 2013

Smells

     Rather than write about the earthy, fresh scent of vegetables and fruits that I was constantly handling throughout my childhood, or the nostalgia of the dank, musty, nearly tangible air that sat in my grandparent's cottage, or sticky pine sap or an old accordion, I want to write about the worst smell of my life.  Maybe if I had gotten closer to a rotting deer, I mean really shove my nose where it wouldn't want to be I would have to relegate this smell to runner-up on this pungent rostrum.  But I haven't, so here it is. 

     I must have smelled it when I was seven years old and I can still feel it way up there in my nostrils.  It was then I realized all the terrible things that you could go through in life.  Innocence was lost; my childhood was stripped of a little piece of beauty and wonder.  My family was at a banquet or a party, you know, the very last place a kid wants to be.  However, the abundance of balloons drifting through the hall made it a little more bearable.  I grabbed a bundle of their ribbons and hauled the anchor off the table.  Curious, I tore off the red mylar wrapping around the weight and saw what looked like a conglomerate of hardened sand.  It had to be smelled.  It just had to. 

     It really didn't.  It really didn't.  I suspect I was a coke addict in a past life, because I didn't just sniff it, I snorted it.  The chemical just stayed up there, smacking my olfactory organs until they only recognized this terrible beast dominating them.  I could not smell anything except this one single scent for days.  While I was lying in bed, while I was building Lego's, while I ate.  It made everything in life terrible.  I survived and emerged a wiser child.

8 comments:

  1. This reminds me of the childhood I know and witnessed. My brothers were infamous for getting things stuck up their noses. I enjoy the humor and lesson learned mentality of this piece :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Childhood-book, favorite line: "John Mason stuck jelly beans up his nose. That's a pretty dumb thing to do.'

      Delete
  2. As I was reading this, I could picture everything in my head, as if I was there. I really liked your last paragraph about how you suspect you were a coke addict in a past life because you snorted it instead of just smelling it. Reminds me of when I was a child and would do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You found a really casual and conversational tone in this essay that made it seem really accessible to me. I thought the last sentence was a pretty resonant line to wrap up the story. I would have liked an attempt at describing exactly what the balloon weight smelled like that was so awful, if only because you piqued my curiosity but I've been warned against smelling it myself, at all costs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Specific description, even a futile, embellished one, would have been welcome here.

      Delete
  4. This is a great essay, and it sounds like something I would have done as a child. I've always been curious about what was inside those mylar balloon weights, and the humor you include in your writing is very enjoyable. This also reminds me of the time I discovered smelling salts in my parents' first aid kit...not a pleasant experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TC has the opportnity here to actually tell us what those weights are made of, Ackerman-style.

      Horace, the Roman poet, said that writing should "instruct and delight." Tristan's got the delighting down.

      DW

      Delete
  5. Alright, alright. I will attempt to describe the awfulness of the scent and post the result soon.

    ReplyDelete